The Travelers Indemnity Company.
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Travelers Internship Program provides qualified students an excellent paid opportunity to gain first-hand business experience, receive valuable on-the-job training, and take a 10 week journey to discover if one of the many opportunities in the Insurance industry – including the growing field of Business Intelligence – is right for you.
Looking for robust experience in cutting-edge mapping and analytics projects in the field of Geospatial? We are looking to fill our Geospatial intern class for the Summer of 2018. The successful candidate will assist on an innovative geospatial collaborative Property & Casualty insurance initiative. Candidates should have proficiency with basic GIS concepts for data downloading, review, and compiling, metadata creation and editing, as well as spatial analysis to generate new data sets.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
How can students interface with Geospatial at Travelers?
This position will provide exposure to a wide variety of GIS datasets, offering a unique experience to work hands on with experienced analytical team members to see the GIS data put into action. In addition to some great work experiences, the Business Intelligence & Geospatial program office will assign a Mentor, Peer Advisor, a summer training curriculum that focuses on business acumen, technical skills, as well; as exposure to leadership and transition from school to the workplace. In additional to enterprise events for over 300 Travelers interns, there will be a number of summer programming for the Business Intelligence & Analytic (BI&A) community interns including a speaker series, workshops, presentations, and networking events.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
· Coursework from an accredited college or university with major focus in:
o Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
o Computer Science,
o Information Systems
· Candidates will have 1- 2 years of experience with GIS principles and practices in a college setting
· Experience with the ESRI ArcGIS suite of software products 10.x is required.
· Knowledge of basic geography principles is preferred.
· Good analytical and profiling skills, some basic statistical knowledge.
· Hands on experience with text files, Excel sheets, Databases
· Good written and communication skills.
· Rising senior in college in good junior standing with at preferred GPA of 3.2 or better.
· Legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for future sponsorship.
This 10-12 week paid position is expected to begin on June 2018.
Opportunities are available in both Hartford, Conn. and St. Paul, Minn.
· Proficiency in open source GIS mapping software and platforms required; proficiency in PostgreSQL, PostGIS, Python or other programming languages strongly preferred
· Background in computer science, math, geography, statistics, international development, and /or other relevant field
· Experience with database management
· Strong research capabilities
· High familiarity with acquiring, cleaning, and modifying geospatial data
· Interested in web mapping applications, design, and software development
· Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
· Creative and flexible; comfortable working on a small team with limited supervision
· Fast learner; willingness to take on projects outside the scope of work
· Enthusiastic, motivated team player
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for this job at https://travelersindex.contacthr.com/60506169
View More The Travelers Companies, Inc. Jobs
The Travelers Indemnity Company.
Website : https://www.travelers.com
In an uncertain world, Travelers is an insurance leader, committed to keeping pace with the ever-changing needs of our customers, and anticipating their needs for the future. There is no stronger testament to our dedication to protecting customers from loss than our continued innovation and ability to transform our industry.