Saint Louis, MO 63101
Company Job Title: Russian Toponymist (Geospatial Linguist), Journeyman
Location: St. Louis, MO
Reports To: Program Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time, Regular
Summary: The Russian Toponymist (Geospatial Linguist) shall analyze and conflate information associated with feature data listed in the Geographic Names Database (GNDB) while working closely with Intelligence Community (IC) geographic names experts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position)
• Use agency guidance and policies to respond to questions concerning the proper and correct usage of names, various Romanization systems, and the treatment of descriptive information on standard products. These services will use the Geographic Names Processing Systems (GNPS), charts, imagery and geospatial tools to refine names information for use in all types of products and to respond to use question via the Ad Hoc Query process.
• Prepare files and maps for work, accurately entering data to maintain and update the GNDB, including batching the completed work into the GNDB.
• Scan and geo-reference hardcopy maps, research, and order geospatial data sources and commercial imagery to use as reference sources. Georeferenced maps and imagery must be conflated with the GNDB.
• Interpret and apply national and international policies governing the treatment of and general guidelines emanating from the US Board on Geographic Names (US BGN), the Department of State (DoS), the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), and other related organizations.
Non-Essential Duties: Other duties as assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: NONE
Minimum Qualifications: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.)
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• Minimum 3 years’ relevant work experience
• Must possess an ILR Skill Level Two certification for reading (DLPT5 2/2) in the Russian language.
• Experience using ArcGIS or GeoMedia Pro; creating shapefiles, geo-databases; utilizing native maps, secondary source maps, and historic maps for extraction and comparison; mapping imagery for stereo and mono extraction at various resolutions; and, expertise in research and information gathering
• Active TS SCI clearance is required.
ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Specific experience processing geographic names following agency policies and procedures is highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must be a self-starter and capable of working independently with minimal supervision and guidance.
• Ability to multitask and deliver quality products within specified timelines.
• Ability to work well as part of a team effort.
• Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
• Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment.
• During visits to areas of operations, may be exposed to extreme cold or hot weather conditions. Is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and loud noise.
Chenega Corporation and family of companies is an EOE.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Native preference under PL 93-638.
We participate in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
Website : http://www.chenega.com
Chenega Corporation is the most successful Alaska Native Village Corporation. It was founded in 1974 to represent the interests of the Chenega people, an Alutiiq people with ancient roots in the Prince William Sound area of South Central Alaska. The Chenega people continue to reside in this general area with many still maintaining a subsistence way of life.