Mason Bruce & Girard
About the Position
This position supports the USFS Region in utilizing the Natural Resource Management (NRM) Applications and GIS Programs. Work may include building and maintaining a GIS system and the maintenance of corporate-wide applications to disseminate geospatial, tabular, and other map products including Mobile GIS and Web GIS applications. Work on this project requires knowledge of and demonstrated skill in the use of the following software: ESRI GIS products including ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Online (AGOL), Oracle, PL/SQL Developer and Access (Microsoft) databases. Work will be onsite at the USFS Region 5 Regional Office in Vallejo, CA.Secondary workplaces may occur at other locations.
The Natural Resource GIS Analyst/Programmer will perform the following tasks:
• Develop complex SQL queries in consultation with national applications coordinator as well as other resource users. Outputs from these queries include complex spatial and tabular information presented and displayed for resource specialists.
• Create scripts to identify data discrepancies in current application databases, using information provided by regional data stewards and National Applications coordinator, then provide end users with discrepancy reports and correction direction.
• Perform landscape level project analysis in support of National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) using existing applications and apply these project principles across multiple business areas.
• Using MS Access software to create and develop custom output reports from National Application data.
• Create final reports, PowerPoint presentations, and AGOL story maps.
• Manipulate legacy electronic tabular and spatial information provided by regional sources into current data formats and for migrating it into corporate databases.
• Obtain necessary information from those that collected the data to understand and correct errors that are found.
• Work in concert with Mobile/Web GIS staff to ensure NRM standards and protocols are used.
• Develop business specific User Guides to assist program managers (PMs), users and other personnel in bulk data retrieval and display and uploading of geospatial information from corporate databases by creating custom maps, scripts and/or tools.
• Tasks also include slope, volume, area, and hill-shade analysis, and various spatial modeling including surface modeling, demographic modeling, travel time and cost analysis, dynamic segmentation and route analysis. Basic statistics for tabular analysis from various data sources. All final products must include complete FGDC compliant or other comprehensive metadata.
• Maintain relationships with National, Forest, and District personnel as well as other technical experts as necessary.
• Participate in meetings with resource PMs and National Applications coordinator.
• Participate in field trips to forests as needed.
• Attend project meetings as technical expert.
• If required, create a knowledge transfer plan to coordinate ongoing work with government employees or other designated parties.
• Additional project work may be assigned due to changing Regional priorities
To excel in the Natural Resource GIS Analyst/Programmer position, you should possess the following skills, experience, and background:
• Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Ecology, Wildlife Biology, Soils, Geology, Hydrology, Geography or Earth Science.
• Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in GIS is highly desired.
• Five years of intensive and progressive experience in a field requiring extensive use of GIS.
• Experience with ESRI GIS products including ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Online (AGOL), Oracle, PL/SQL Developer, and MS Access databases.
In addition, the following skills are desirable:
• Background knowledge of hydrology, botany, wildfire, geology, soils, vegetation, and infrastructure.
• Knowledge of NEPA processes within a Natural Resource agency.
• Familiar with mobile technology and application development for mobile devices.
All content © 2001 - 2018 Four15 LLC
Mason Bruce & Girard